Friday 23 July 2010

Week One Complete

I had a bit of a rough start to the week, but it ended up turning out really well.

One of my co-workers brought his little boy to school to join the camp, and he’s just the funniest little Korean kid to work with. He reminds me of a Korean version of Calvin (from “Calvin and Hobbes”) with a short attention span, huge imagination, and the ability to have some sort of food on his face at any given time. I’ll be in the process of teaching him something, turn my back for just a second, and when I turn back he’ll have either a grape stain, chocolate stain, or unidentified smear around his lips. I just don’t understand how he does it…

Anyway, my class size stayed at a steady one to three students for the rest of the week (which was nice and quiet), and we did end up getting a lot of work done (surprisingly). Near the end of the week, they were much less interested in worksheets, and much more interested in open discussions while playing boards games. We talked about some of the classic round-table topics such as, “If you could have any superpower, what would it be,” and, “If you could be the President for a day, what would you do.”

If the Principal had walked in, he would not have been too happy that I wasn’t busy, hammering verbs down their throats, but I’ve found these types of open discussions way more beneficial for not only raising their vocabulary usage, but also raising their confidence.

- Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment