Saturday 17 July 2010

Death by Summer Camps

Summer should be a time for kids to spend their days laughing and playing outside with their friends. Such is not the case on this side of the planet.

Today marks the first day of “summer vacation.” For my kids, “summer vacation” simply means, “to work outside of the academic year.” Some of them are studying in private institutions to get ahead of their peers before the start of the next semester, some of them are working on their parent’s farms, and some of them are attending summer camps.

While it’s true that there are some students quietly tucked away in PC rooms wasting their summer days away, most of them are doing anything but enjoying their “free” time.

This semester, I have to run three weeks of camps. The first week is for high school students, the second week is for middle school students at my branch school, and the third week is for middle school students at my main school. Kill me now…

Don’t get me wrong, I love my kids. Well, most of them at least. But teaching the same kids for four classes a day, five days a week can be quite the challenge. Sometimes you feel more like a babysitter than an actual teacher, and with the added fourty degree heat, it’s easy to lose your mind.

Well, at least I have the weekend to relax, re-charge the batteries, and try and start the week off on a good note.

- Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment