Monday 12 October 2009

The Persistent Principal

"Is Wednesday okay? We’re kind of busy today and tomorrow.”

“No. Don’t be ridiculous. Tuesday. Mr. Lee, tell her Tuesday after dinner.

***

The Principal at Andeok came over to my desk and motioned swinging a badminton racquet. Oh god. I knew exactly what he wanted to do. Badminton. “After dinner?” he asked.

“Umm, I’m actually kind of busy,” I replied. It wasn’t a lie. Ken and I had planned to put up our first Korea photo album online.

He protested, “What could you possibly be doing after dinner that can’t wait a couple of hours?”

I knew I had no chance in changing his mind…maybe I could change the date. “How about this Wednesday?”

“No. Tuesday. Mr. Lee, tell her Tuesday…and that’s that.”

Even Lee (my Korean co-teacher for Andeok High School) wasn’t able to convince the Principal otherwise.

He grabbed the last of the Ghana chocolates Lee had given me (I was saving it for Ken), unwrapped it, and started to snack. No one messes with him.

I guess I’m playing badminton tomorrow…

- Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment