Wednesday 9 September 2009

Singing Bus Driver

I got on the bus like very other morning and braced myself for motion sickness. I put my seat back, closed my eyes, and began controlling my breathing. I also found it helpful to let my mind wander to a peaceful scene as a distraction from the horrors of the trip. But this morning, something different happened; I heard singing.


It started very softly at first, and gradually increased in strength as the tempo quickened. Before I knew what was happening, he was belting out a Korean opera song at the top of his lungs much to the enjoyment of the half-a-dozen old women on the bus. As he sang, he kept looking back in the mirror, and occasionally pointing at one of them with a quick wink. He was clearly flirting, and they loved him for it.


His voice was absolutely amazing. The resonance on the inside of the bus didn’t do him justice, but I’m sure if he were on stage he’d have a sold out crowd.


I obviously wasn’t paying attention outside because by the time I realized where we were, we had already passed my stop. It didn’t matter. I got off at the next stop and walked the ten minutes back down the road to my school with the songs still resonating in my head.


Thank you mister bus driver for saving me a morning of pain.


I hope we meet again.


 - Ken 

2 comments:

  1. Did you get him since then? Have you tried eating an apple before the trip? Did you know that your town is famous for its apples? Actually, when I had morning sickness (carrying you...) the girls at the Cancer Clinic told me to eat an apple in the morning and the pectin would counteract some of the nausea. I can't remember if it worked or not...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine(Jess's mom)14 October 2009 at 21:05

    I hope Jessica remembers Korean acupuncture what I did to her long time ago when she had stomach ache.. you might ask her how to reduce motion sickness on your hands' palm.. like pressing a certain spot on central point of palm several times :) hope that works for you.. I know how hard that is when I have..

    ReplyDelete